[fpc-pascal] building arm cross compiler on FreeBSD

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sun Jan 10 13:17:05 CET 2016

On Sun, January 10, 2016 12:57, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> Tomas Hajny wrote:

>>> Try adding OS_TARGET=embedded to your "make all CPU_TARGET=arm"
>>> invocation in the top level directory (assuming you've set up your
>>> environment for cross-compiling to embedded).
>>
>> I know next to nothing about target embedded or ARM, but the original
>> poster seems to have asked for support of FreeBSD on ARM
>
> His previous messages were about embedded development for ARM. I
> interpreted "I'm stuck while trying to build a cross compiler for ARM on
> FreeBSD" as (a cross compiler for ARM) (on FreeBSD) rather than (a cross
> compiler) (for ARM on FreeBSD), especially given the last sentence from
> his mail quoted above..

That's what I guessed from your response. Nevertheless, the message also
contained an explicit note of running FreeBSD on his device. I checked it
and FreeBSD seems to support the device according to Internet sources
indeed.

It's up to the original poster to clarify whether he intends to target
FreeBSD on his device, or whether he was interested in creating programs
for the device without an operating system.

> My guess was that the reason he was asking, was that if you do a "make
> all CPU_TARGET=arm" at the top level to get an ARM cross-compiler, the
> Makefile will default to $(OS_SOURCE)/$(CPU_TARGET), which will indeed
> result in complaints about FreeBSD/ARM not being supported if you do it
> on FreeBSD.

Yes, I think so as well, but it might be exactly the thing he was
interested in.

Tomas