[fpc-pascal] ARM CMSIS support

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Sat Jan 9 13:42:36 CET 2016

On Sa, 2016-01-09 at 00:55 +0100, Jeppe Johansen wrote:
> Yes, you understand it correctly :)
> The FPC RTL only exposes the hardware, not the firmware stack on top.
>
> It might not be documented well anywhere but the weak linking with set
> defaults basically means you can declare interrupt handlers like this:
>
> procedure MySystickHandler; [public, alias: 'SysTick_interrupt'];
> begin
>     // Code
> end;

I see. And there is no example in your testing code for stmf103fx.pas.

Since this should be documented somewhere:
Is that working for all embedded controller types? It should, the
declarations look pretty much the same.

I'm willing to collect some informations for starters and make a wiki
page out of it, but I'll have to ask a lot of questions first. ;)

On the wiki there is a lot of stuff, but what is missing a bit is a
general getting started page for newbies.

> For STM32 there's the stm32f103fw file on my site. There's also a
> version on Anton Rieckert's github page which is split up a bit nicer.
> Not sure what the status or compatibility is.
> Otherwise I can plug my project of converting the STM32F7 codebase here:
> https://github.com/Laksen/fp-stm32f7xx_hal

My current targets are a f4-discovery board and maybe some simple f103
controllers not choosen yet. Besides that AVR would be nice to have.
When that works maybe I'll be trying some SAM7S64 or S256 boards, too.
In principle all of them would be handled identically, besides their
intergrated peripherals.

So again:
The process of getting started would be the same on every simple
controller? Simple means having no OS, only bare silicon.

What I know is:
- get biunutils
- build cross compiler
But that's all. Mostly simple testing programs are given, but not many
explanations on declaring IRQ-handlers, loading up a binary, etc.

I like the technique of generating linker script and having memory
address specifications and more build in the compiler. When using C and
fiddling with Makefiles, linker scripts, not working code and so on can
be very frustrating. And I like Pacal. ;)

What tools do you use to load the binary up to the embedded target?

Marc

Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>