[fpc-pascal] Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 18:38:18 CET 2016

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 12:11:54 -0500, Anthony Walter
<sysrpl at gmail.com> wrote:

>The problem Delphi ran into a while back comes down to one key factor: PRICE

..

>This is especially true when it's so platform limited. The IDE only works
>on Windows, it has no real Linux support (sorry Kylix), the OSX VCL tooling
>is abysmal (my god its awful).

Yeah,
I got myself a personal boost back in 2013 by buying XE5 so as to
explore the world of mobile apps, but I never really got going on
that.

>You add these in with the fact that more and more developers have been
>moving to web applications, and you have a recipe for failure.

Would it then not be a good time to convert to FPC/Lazarus?
Price-wise it would not be a big deal....

At my old workplace we developed industrial automation software and we
used Delphi from version 1 up to 7 and then stayed on 7 until I
retired in 2011.

Converting from Delphi7 to FPC 3.0 and Lazarus should not be that big
of a problem unless there are snags with the 3rd party stuff we used.

If one has moved on with RAD until Seattle and used the stuff in there
(like FireMonkey) then it would be a hard deal I guess....

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden