[fpc-pascal] Please someone explain this to me

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Feb 11 04:27:56 CET 2016

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Anthony Walter wrote:

> For those who didn't understand what I meant by using regions in the
> interface section rather than include files, here is an image of what is
> essentially in SysUtils currently:

You are forgetting that not everyone uses Lazarus. The RTL is part of Free
Pascal.

For RTL work, I never use lazarus, but a plain old text editor, joe.
It doesn't know regions, it doesn't know mainunit etc.

The RTL is organized for the benefit of its maintainers, not the users.
It's a proven design since 20 years as explained by Marco and Sven.

The fact that you're the first to complain in 20 years (at least I cannot
remember any others, and I've been around for a while) gives you an
indication of the relative importance  of your problem.

Lazarus IDE shows a tooltip when you hover over an identifier with the mouse.
I suspect it will take one on the team less than 10-minutes to add the unit
name to the tooltip, in addition to the package and source file name.

Which is, after all, your original problem which is then solved ?

Michael.