[fpc-pascal] Please someone explain this to me

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 23:58:08 CET 2016

I really don't like the include files with Lazarus and Free Pascal for the
following reason:

How the **** am I supposed to know which file is including an include file?

Often times I am trying to find a function or class or some other
identifier and I search files on disk for the name. Then it turns out the
identifier is in some include file. Often the include file doesn't have any
information to which unit it belongs and I am then forced to search further
for other files which reference the include file. It's a mess.

In this issue http://mantis.freepascal.org/view.php?id=29599 Juha is asking
how I was able to compile my patch without using the dynlibs unit. Sure
enough I am not using the dynlibs unit, but on my system it compiles. When
I control click the LoadLibrary identifier in my Unity patch, Lazarus
brings up an include file with LoadLibtary declared, but I have no idea
which unit is including it (remember I'm not using unit dynlibs).

So my question is, how do the rest of you deal with include files and
locating the unit including them? And also can this system for including
files be better implemented, for example by some IDE feature to figure this
out for you and displaying the "owning" units.