[fpc-pascal] New feature: IfThen() intrinsic

Maciej Izak hnb.code at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:57:57 CET 2016

> Maciej is in so far right that the intrinsic could indeed be named "if"
> and the only way to call it would thus be by "&if", cause only then the
> scanner would not treat "if" as a keyword. So it would work with what the
> compiler currently can.
>
> I'm more inclined to use iif() however, as &if() doesn't look that nice...
> (though it would be more noticeable :P )

Phew. So it is possible. It is hard to discuss with compiler team members
like Michael :P.

1. IMO &if (if is possible to use &if) is best choice. iif can conflict in
the same way as IfThen.
2. IIF should works like IfThen in Math or StrUtils. If no - It will be
precedence with comparision to others languages and iif definition (!)...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIf
3. intrinsic &if is very close to native usage of if then else
4. we can have both. IIF and &if. Don't create precedents!

--
Best regards,
Maciej Izak