[fpc-pascal] Linux installation, where to put fpc?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Dec 31 23:13:22 CET 2016

In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> > is only one user (pi) so it is not about having one installation that
> > is shared amongst users...
>
> You can specify the installation directory to the Makefile using
> INSTALL_PREFIX. You then need to have the bin and (AFAIK) lib/<version>
> directory of that directory in PATH.....

Yesno. On *nix a symlink should be made from the bin directory to the
lib/<version>/ppc<arch> binary.

If you have multiple versions, the default one gets the symlink above, the
rest get them with version number attached (e.g. ppc386-3.0 ->
/usr/local/lib/fpc/3.0.0/ppc386)

Such versioned ones can be selected  with fpc -V3.0 <file to compile>