[fpc-pascal] Are the TEncoding singletons thread-safe?

silvioprog silvioprog at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 20:48:39 CEST 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>
wrote:

> On 11/08/16 20:25, silvioprog wrote:
>
>> But now I have a question: many Free Pascal programmers are Delphi
>> programmers too, having code that can be compiled in both compilers, and
>> sometimes they need to debug deeply, entering into the compiler code and
>> looking at it, so, can't a programmer contribute with Free Pascal in
>> that situation? If so, I have no more questions.
>>

> The compiler code is no problem, since the Delphi compiler code is not
> open source. For the RTL: if they looked at parts of the Delphi RTL source
> code, then they cannot contribute to the same functionality in the FPC RTL.

Hm... now I understood and fully agreed. Since Delphi's TEncoding is part
of its RTL and I've looked at its implementation to understand why I can't
get leaks compiling my code using it, and there is no definition in
copyright of when exactly a work is independent and when it is derivative,
so anything I do can be understood as rewrite.

--
Silvio Clécio