[fpc-pascal] Are the TEncoding singletons thread-safe?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Aug 11 17:54:21 CEST 2016

On 11/08/16 17:06, silvioprog wrote:
> Now I understand what you meant. When you asked me if I looked at
> Delphi's code I thought you were suggesting that I had written the patch
> based on it to make a kind of copy, if so, I haven't. But if the
> question is about looking at Delphi code, yes, I do, I bought a
> professional Delphi copy and its license allows me to see any unit that
> they've sent me. Finally, I can analyse any code of any tool if its
> license allows me, can't I?

Yes, but we cannot integrate any code that has been written by you based
on the Delphi code you looked at, because the license does not allow you
to rewrite that code into something that is licensed under the GPLv2 or
later.

While in theory the issue is not as black and white (there is no
definition in copyright of when exactly a work is independent and when
it is derivative), to be on the safe side we do not accept code that has
been written by someone after they looked at the Delphi code for the
same functionality.

> Well, to avoid more confusion I'll not send more patches to solve this
> problem and I'm going to close my issue.

I have simply removed your code from the bug report, that is enough.
Your description of how to fix it does not pose any problems.

Jonas