[fpc-pascal] Debug and Release RTL & FCL side by side

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Fri Apr 29 11:31:43 CEST 2016

On Fri, April 29, 2016 11:20, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

Hi,

> I sometimes hit a bug in my applications, but then there is no Stack
> Trace information, or simply something like 3 entries that don't give
> much information. See attached screenshot as an example. Apparently this
> is caused by the fact that I'm using a Release build of the RTL and FCL
> and the error was raised inside the RTL or FCL code.
>
> So is there a recommended FPC setup having a Release and Debug RTL & FCL
> side by side. Then in my IDE of choice (or build scripts) I can switch
> between them as needed. I believe Delphi had a similar setup (or maybe
> it was only for the VCL), but its been too long since I really used
> Delphi to remember what Borland did.

Obviously, you can have release and debug builds residing in different
directories side by side (different location from other third party or
your own units). Then depending on your tool of choice, you simply select
the right configuration set when compiling and debugging. You can do this
with the command line compiler (supplying different configuration files,
possibly also having the common part of configuration shared using an
include file), you can do that by using the text mode IDE, etc. Or did you
mean something different?

Tomas