[fpc-pascal] Build in a C compiler

Ralf Quint freedos.la at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:45:07 CEST 2016

On 4/20/2016 4:29 AM, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 20. April 2016, 07:05:10 schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
>> No. Pascal and ALGOL are closely related, C and ALGOL are closely
>> related. Pascal and C are not so closely related.
> As you can see here Pascal, C, and Basic are very close related.
>
> http://www.mikroe.com/compilers

I think you are jumping to conclusion here.
It is more likely that they spend the time in the past (they are around
for quite a while) to build their specific Basic, Pascal and C compiler
front end and just have to replace the actual code generator for each
architecture they support.
Just because a company offers compilers for various languages, with a
common IDE, doesn't mean that those compilers are "closely related".
Just take Borland of old, Turbo Pascal, Turbo C, Turbo Basic, Turbo
Prolog, they all used a very similar IDE but the actual compiler had all
completely different origins...

Ralf

---