[fpc-pascal] Any chance to add the TStringBuilder to FCL?

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Fri Apr 15 19:19:21 CEST 2016

Am 2016-04-15 um 10:26 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
 >> Is there also a switch
 >> {$OneBasedDynArrays On}  ?
 >> No more confusion about first and last element index.
 > You really should be using low() and high() instead. ;-)

So why do we need {$ZeroBasedStrings On} at all? ;-)

Of course, when you simply want to traverse all elements
from the first to the last you can use low() and high().
But I would not use this for strings as

for i := 1 to Length(S)

is IMO more readable than

for i := low(s) to high(S)

(where it's unclear, whether high() means the highest
*possible* or the highest *current* index).

And I often need to calculate or store indices.
Then I have to take into account where counting starts and ends
which is unintuitive in dynamic arrays (not Pascal like).
When I set

INDEX := 2;

then I always have to remind me that this means that it's the
3rd index in dynamic arrays while it's the 2nd one in strings.