[fpc-pascal] SVN FPC tag content?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Apr 2 21:52:29 CEST 2016

In our previous episode, Bo Berglund said:
> >that release's bug-fix branch... regarding FPC that is normally named
> >"<fpcver>_fixes".
>
> I hade a look here:
> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/branches/fixes_3_0/
> there are sources

That is the 3.0 series branch from which releases are branched.

> And here:
> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0/
> same here

That is the 3.0(.0) release.

> So there seems not to be any release_3_0_1 or similar.

The fixes_3_0 has as moving version "3.0.1" till 3.0.2 is released, and
after it will be 3.0.3 and so on.

> Is the accepted convention to check out the branches/fixes_3_0/ and
> regularly svn up on it and then make?

Yes. Though the activity is not continous. It has had quite some updates in
the last few days though.

> trunk/ seems to be work in progress and might be unstable, right?

Well, lately that instability is relative, it is generally usable,
but fixes_3_0 is a bit more conservative with respect to breaking
interfaces and compatibility.