[fpc-pascal] Resourcestrings in FPC 3.0

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Sep 24 09:52:34 CEST 2015

Martin Schreiber wrote:
> On Thursday 24 September 2015 09:28:28 Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> There are several more, including lack of support for non-ansi encoded
>> file names and most classes that (still) exist only in ansistring form.
>> You can of course create replacements for all of that, but then again,
>> you could also implement a replacement for resourcestrings in that case.
>>
> Do you think it is possible without compiler magic other than parsing the
> sources?

If you wanted to use unicode filesystem routines before, you could not
use the Pascal language functionality for this and had to create your
own alternative implementation. If you wanted to use unicode
resourcestrings, you could not use the Pascal language functionality for
this and had to create your own alternative (e.g. like how gettext
works, I guess).

Both standard I/O and resourcestring rely on compiler (and RTL) support.

>>> Another question, it looks to me that -Fcutf8 does not work like
>>> {$codepage utf8} for string constants. Is this intend?
>> I think they should have the same effect.
>>
> Another bug?

If they don't have the same effect, it's a bug, yes.

Jonas