[fpc-pascal] Basic Windows tutorial

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Oct 24 08:14:01 CEST 2015

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 09:36:25 +0700
Ryan Joseph <ryan at thealchemistguild.com> wrote:

>[...]
> I started a project using the “simple application” template which made a console window I don’t really want. Is there a way to remove that window? I don’t see any code which is creating it.
>
> Can I route STDOUT (does that exist on Windows?) from writeln to the message window in Lazarus? That’s pretty typical for development and I can’t see where it’s going right now.

The console window is the STDOUT on Windows. Without it you can't use
writeln.
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#Console_output_for_GUI_application

There are various logging systems. For example:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LazLogger

> Do I need to do anything in Lazarus to package application resources (like images, data files) or do I just include them in the same directory as the executable? That’s just a general Windows question I guess but Lazarus seems to have a guy for this.

FPC has a cross platform solution for resources:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Resources#FPC_resources

And Lazarus has a GUI for that:
Project / Project Options / Resources

Matias