[fpc-pascal] Methods for autoupdating fpc programs?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 23:15:03 CEST 2015

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 13:58:27 -0700, Ralf Quint
<freedos.la at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10/3/2015 11:30 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I am wondering if there is some method to autoupdate an fpc program
>> running on a RaspberryPi? It really should not matter where the fpc
>> program runs but I figured the operating system has some influence, so
>> let's limit this to Linux.
>>
>> What I would like is to endow my data collection control program on a
>> Pi with the ability to check for updates on the web and then update
>> itself. But I have no clue as to the best way to do this.
>>
>> The program will probably be started by cron every minute to check if
>> it has anything to do and if so execute its data collection task and
>> quit. Otherwise just quit, but here maybe also check for an update on
>> the web?
>> But how could one exchange a running program on the pi from within
>> itself?
>>
>> Any common methods available somewhere?
>>
>Well, there is a Lazarus component for that... ;-)
>
>http://wiki.freepascal.org/LazAutoUpdater

Yes, I found that but it seems to be a visual component that will
interact with a user.
My program is a command line application started by cron and running
on a headless Pi2B installed inside a box in the wilderness. Only
communicates via a mobile broadband modem/router...
I need a non-visual one.
And I did not intend to host my program on Sourceforge either...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden