[fpc-pascal] Updated FPC from svn but make does not work..

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 15:50:17 CET 2015

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 12:33:38 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

>>> How am I supposed to update fpc 3.1.1?
>>
>> You must always start with a released (currently 2.6.4) compiler. That
>> is normal.
>>
>> To do this, you can e.g. make a symlink to the 2.6.4 compiler (name it
>> ppcarm-2.6.4) and use that when calling make:
>>
>> make all PP=ppcarm-2.6.4
>>

>Except that that won't work on the RPi, where you need to start off with
>a specially-built compiler.

I think my 2.6.4 is OK because I got it as follows (from my notes):
wget
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Linux/2.6.4/fpc-2.6.4.arm-linux.tar
tar xvf fpc-2.6.4.arm-linux.tar
cd fpc-2.6.4.arm-linux
./install.sh  (Reply /usr/local to the first question)

>Bo, look for the error message in Makefile and you'll also see reference
>to  OVERRIDEVERSIONCHECK  which allows you to build from your current
>compiler, i.e. something like
>
>make OVERRIDEVERSIONCHECK=1 all
>
>I'd not normally recommend this, but I think in the current case it's
>necessary and safe. TO EMPHASISE: UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES USE THE
>LAST-RELEASED COMPILER.

I am seroiusluy considering scrapping my current installation (FPC
3.1.1 and Lazarus 1.5) in favour of the released versions.
But I don't know how to go about it, i.e. how does one get rid of old
(newer) versions in favour of release versions?
In Windows one would do an uninstall, but here on Linux everything is
built from sources and might interact in unknown ways....
I don't want to scrap my whole Raspbian installation this time around,
just get the released version for the Linux ARM platform.

BTW, I saw that the released Lazarus is 1.4.4, and I think that FPC
2.6.4 is the latest release. So since I have 2.6.4 installed it might
just be about changing the symlink inside /usr/local/bin to point
pparm to that versionon the FPC side?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden