[fpc-pascal] Updated FPC from svn but make does not work..

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 8 12:14:10 CET 2015

On Sun, 8 Nov 2015, Bo Berglund wrote:

> I have a trunk source tree for FPC, which I checked out a few weeks
> ago and built fpc 3.1.1 using fpc 2.6.4 then installed it etc.
> Now I wanted to get to the latest revision and did an svn update in
> the source dir. But when I then issue 'make all' I get this message:
>
> Makefile:2873: *** The only supported starting compiler version is
> 2.6.4. You are trying to build with 3.1.1..  Stop.
>
> How am I supposed to update fpc 3.1.1?

You must always start with a released (currently 2.6.4) compiler.
That is normal.

To do this, you can e.g. make a symlink to the 2.6.4 compiler
(name it ppcarm-2.6.4) and use that when calling make:

make all PP=ppcarm-2.6.4

or, if  you want to avoid the symlink, you can directly refer to the 2.6.4 compiler:

make all PP=/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.6.4/ppcarm

(change the path to suit your setup, obviously)

I have always done the former.

Michael.