[fpc-pascal] FreePascal and MySQL

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri May 1 19:30:26 CEST 2015

On 01/05/15 18:07, Terry A. Haimann wrote:
> I wrote two programs that built the same identical table.  A random set
> of names with addresses.  I found the user time of the program written
> in c was 20% of that which was written in Free Pascal.

How did you generate the random names? FPC uses the Mersenne twister as
random generator, which is quite good but also quite cpu intensive. Most
C standard libraries uses a linear congruential generator, which is very
fast but less good.

I.o.w., you may have been comparing the performance of the random number
generators rather than of the SQL interface.

Jonas