[fpc-pascal] [Cross-post] Re: Free Pascal and Lazarus Nightly Builds

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 12:44:19 CET 2015

Lukasz Sokol wrote:
> On 03/03/15 17:47, Anthony Walter wrote:
>> This is a public notice. Get Lazarus has switched from hosting
>> arbitrary revisions to hosting setup programs from nightly builds.
>>
>> http://www.getlazarus.org/setup/
>>
>> Going forward each night the current svn trunk sources of FPC and
>> Lazarus will be updated and converted into a Windows installer,
>> Linux, and Macintosh  archives. The installer, setup scripts,
>> application shortcuts, and website have now prominently inform users
>> that they have installed or might be installing nightly build
>> versions of FPC and Lazarus.
>>
>> As before any changes get Lazarus makes are hosted in a diff file
>> distributed with each install. This information is also mirrored on
>> github.
>>

> Having had a look (as it's a wiki-idea-page-engine), I conclude that the automatic
> start of download only does not work any more by accident -
> somehow it doesn't go to ?download#linux when I visit it,
> but entering http://www.getlazarus.org/setup/?download#linux into URL field still does.
>
> Please consider removing the automatic click on the download link PERMANENTLY and SURELY.
>
> Going to relevant OS section IS OK.
>
> Forcing users to immediately decide whether to save or not, IS NOT.

Out of curiosity, I've just taken a look at it on an "unexpected"
platform (Linux SPARC). It did a creditable job, except that it appears
to not make an initial check that FPC binaries are already installed :-)

There might be additional problems if the FPC version has already been
bumped to something non-approved (e.g. on MIPS it doesn't exist for
<2.7.1). Also there's a problem with some combinations of FPC build
where make "loses" the initial ppcxxxx binary, resulting in lots of
messages along the lines of (this is from memory) "make cannot find the
command -ijjhgjhgjhg".

Apart from that, a valiant attempt :-)

Just my 2d worth.

--