[fpc-pascal] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: SizeInt documentation

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Mon Jun 22 17:38:07 CEST 2015

Am 2015-06-21 um 20:16 schrieb leledumbo:
 >> A documenation of a type that has different meanings on different
 >> platforms should tell about this.
 >> That's what a documentation is for!
 > Well, the user guide, programmer's reference or basically everything other
 > than the API documentation mentions whenever something is platform specific.
 > And they're hand written.

Then I don't understand what the web page
http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/system/sizeint.html
realy is.
I thought it was an online documentation of the Free Pascal runtime library.
Is it not?
What is the API documentation you talk about?
Free Pascal cannot be documented without the OS-specific details.
Isn't the SIZEINT type a part of Free Pascal?
Then a documentation has to tell all details about it.
Otherwise it cannot be called documentation.
But what is then?

 >> How should I know that these documentations are for *nix only?
 > *nix units are not available on non-nix platforms, it's that simple.

When I search for "sizeint" in google I find
http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/system/sizeint.html
What is unix-related here?
It is a general documentation of the SIZEINT type.
Not a single word about *nix.

 > Going back to everything manual is NOT a solution (How many places must be
 > modified when an API changes? How do you ensure the documentation and source
 > be consistent?),

How is this ensured in the programmer's reference?