[fpc-pascal] Delphi mode for new features?

Serguei TARASSOV serge at arbinada.com
Thu Jul 2 12:37:10 CEST 2015

On 02/07/2015 10:32, fpc-pascal-request at lists.freepascal.org wrote:
> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 17:51:43 +0200
> From: Jonas Maebe<jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>
> To: FPC-Pascal users discussions<fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org>
> Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] Delphi mode for new features?
>

> The point is that we consider that several features added by Embarcadero
> make the language less Pascal-like or more complicated for no good
> reason. "Advanced records" is one such example: that feature already
> existed, and is called "objects" or "Turbo Pascal-style objects".

This is another good example of divergence that complicates the life.

Object type can be used as "advanced record" in FPC mode only.
I'm agreed that it is good evolution since turbo pascal.
But in Delphi mode you cannot use object type in a same manner (i.e. for
operator overloading) and then should use advanced records.
As result, when the same unit should be compiled with both Delphi and
FPC, you cannot use the power of both languages but only subset of them.

Be honest, I have doubts about "Pascal spirit" of this genre.

Regards,
Serguei