[fpc-pascal] Cross-compile vs native

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jan 28 13:11:46 CET 2015

On 01/28/2015 12:51 PM, Ewald wrote:

> [this might be an extremely silly proposition, please forgive me] Why
> don't you run lazarus through ssh? Or use vnc?
The (small) target system does not have any graphic-related stuff like
X, qt or gtk. So VNC,  or remote X will not work.

Of course I can  access a command line via SSH.

> Well, _if_ the cross-compilation works, why not just ssh in to the
> target system and run gdb there?
Happily, in fact the client system is advanced enough to allow running
the full gdb (not just gdb-server).

Of course this does work. And I did just this. But direct manual work on
gdb is rather painful. That is why it would be great to use Lazarus for
remote debugging.

To do this there are two ways:

1) (this is activated in Lazarus by default) using remote gdb on the
server and have same access gdb-server on the client. Here I have not
been able to find / compile the appropriate remote gdb / gdb-server pair
for the ARM target.

2) (the code to do this is commented out in Lazarus and supposedly not
decently working) accessing a full gdb on the client via SSH.

-Michael