[fpc-pascal] compiler message files

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Tue Jan 6 11:41:29 CET 2015

On Tue, January 6, 2015 11:32, Bee wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> You only need to translate the part after the "=" in those lines that
>> don't have a LaTeX comment. Because only these texts are used by the
>> compiler. The part in the comments is only used for the documentation
>> which
>> we generate in English only. Take a look at the other msg files to see
>> what
>> I mean.
>>
> I'm looking at Indonesian translation, errorid.msg. There I see almost
> everything is translated, even the comment lines (with # prefix). I
> thought
> a complete and thorough translation must be useful somewhere in the
> documentation. Am I wrong?

The comments are not used in the compiler and documentation in other
languages is not created / supported by the FPC team. Obviously, someone
may decide to create a special version of documentation with messages and
their description in another language, but I don't see much sense of doing
so unless he or she intends to translate the whole documentation (which
would be a pretty big task) or at least some specific part of it like one
of the guide (still pretty big task with probably rather limited
audience).

Tomas