[fpc-pascal] Some features for FPC 3.0?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Feb 17 22:09:22 CET 2015

In our previous episode, silvioprog said:

> My suggestion is just: to make easier to test, for any programmer. E.g:
>
> - fpc-3.0.0-beta1/beta2 +/-jan/feb
> - fpc-3.0.0-RC1/RC2 +/-may/jun
> - fpc-3.0.0-RC3/fpc-3.0.0-stable +/-dec.
>
> Yes, it is hard to do, but IMHO it is necessary.

I don't think this needs to be done formally. Any users can package
snapshots cq pseudo releases and mark them as test, and release them for
feedback. Then process the feedback, triage it, and communicate that back
upstream.

That's how the really big projects (like distros) work too. Similarly with
the various branches of the Linux kernel, where there are often third party
builders that track a certain target.

So the question should be, when do you think you can release your first
pseudo stable snapshot? Throwing it all back to core is useless, since that
increasing tasks will only slow development more.