[fpc-pascal] FreeGLUT on Windows

leledumbo leledumbo_cool at yahoo.co.id
Thu Dec 24 06:28:24 CET 2015

> There is a FreeGLUT package which it looks like FPC supports and I was able
to find the units and download a recent .dll but it complains about missing
symbols unless I add the glut unit which then attempts to load the
glut32.dll and fails

FreeGLUT is a drop-in replacement for GLUT (well, minus some behavior
difference which is documented in their website), so any GLUT program should
work on FreeGLUT. The Pascal wrapper, however, is not the same glut32 unit
because it links to different dll and FreeGLUT has its own extension so it
deserves its own unit, which has been in FPC since 2.4.4:
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_2_4_4/packages/opengl/src/freeglut.pp

> In the Lazarus directory there is a OpenGLControl demo which looks like it
> makes an OpenGL context but I don’t know anything about that API and forms
> etc… so I thought starting simple with FreeGLUT makes the most sense (if
> possible).

Study the demo. Everything makes sense once you start figuring things out
either by studying demo or even the source itself. It's no different than
just another windowing context creation helper with standard event driven
approach that Lazarus does normally.