[fpc-pascal] Issue with Linking

Chris Moody inquiry at greensnakedesign.com
Thu Aug 20 23:05:06 CEST 2015

On 08/20/2015 09:52 AM, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> My working FPC 2.6.0 and 2.6.2 also says "Linux for ARMEL".
>>
>> Incidentally, if I do 'sudo apt-get install <some_package>' I see apt
>> output like "Get: .... <some_package> armel ...."
>> It can be any package like 'git', 'mc' etc.  My Raspbian is from 2012 -
>> no idea how to find out the exact version number.
> Ok, in that case it seems that there are in fact non-hard float versions
> of Raspbian. Your compiler may work because you also installed the ARMEL
> version of libc6-dev.
>
> That's another thing:
> * Chris may also to solve his problem by installing the ARMEL version of
> libc6-dev (package name: libc6-dev-armel )
> * however, if he then compiles his program and gives the compiled binary
> to a customer, it may not work if they are using an ARM hard-float
> installation (unless they also install the libc6-dev-armel package). Of
> course, if compiles it for hard float and the customer has a softfp
> system, it will also cause problems.
>
> So maybe it would be useful to first determine whether the customer has
> an armel or armhf system.
>

> Jonas

To further add to the confusion, I found my Raspberry did not have
locate installed, so I asked apt-get to get a copy and it obtained:

Unpacking locate (from .../locate_4.4.2-4_armhf.deb) ...

I did locate https://blogs.oracle.com/jtc/entry/is_it_armhf_or_armel and
going by Jim's blog I'm running an armhf system.

So I don't know what I have :(.

Chris