[fpc-pascal] How to force unique field values with TBufDataSet

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Apr 27 17:38:17 CEST 2015

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015, stdreamer wrote:

> On 27/04/2015 12:40 μμ, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, 27 Apr 2015, Gabor Boros wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Added ixUnique type index with IndexDefs or AddIndex, set IndexName or
>>> IndexFieldNames. But no effect, I can add same field values without
>>> any error.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge, this is meant to import actual server index
>> definitions, not to enforce in local data.
>>
>> It would often be useless to do so: it may wel be that a value is unique
>> locally (in memory), but is not unique when you save it in the DB, for
>> instance when you load only part of the data in your dataset.
>>
>> Michael.
>>

> you are kidding right? Have you just removed all local/single user
> application as target audience for TBuffdataset or is it my lack of
> understanding?

I am not kidding.

The indexes work in the sense that they sort correctly, but the
ixUnique is AFAIK not enforced.
I am not sure that ixCaseInsensitive is observed.

I have checked this, and ixUnique at least is not even used in bufdataset.

All this does not mean we will not accept patches to implement this,
but currently uniqueness certainly is not enforced.

Michael.