[fpc-pascal] CRTI.O and CRTN.O not found

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Apr 5 22:51:49 CEST 2015

In our previous episode, Anthony Walter said:
> A user on my forums sent me this message. I've experienced the problem as
> wee for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone has a universal fix for
> it yet since it seems to happen so frequently to many people?

Basically the problem is that files that come with the system (read:
distribution) are not detected.

There are two common causes:

1. The user didn't install Linux properly, and didn't prepare the system
   for development. ( installing package "build-essentials" on Debian
iirc)
2. The files are installed but not found. The line to check is the -Fl
    line in fpc.cfg. This can be a mistake in FPC packaging, or
build-essentials being installed after FPC, thus the FPC package's detection
being run while the files were not there yet.

So in general the solution is to check your distribution's documentation and
install base development packages (if you want to limit the packages you
install, glibc-devel, make, binutils and gdb should be the bulk of it), and
only then install FPC. Remove/reinstall FPC if necessary.