[fpc-pascal] Lists of tuples

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 13:34:12 CEST 2014

Assuming that a tuple is a sequence of fields, accessible by position or
name. Assuming that a list of tuples may significantly exceed available
primary storage, and that individual tuples are accessed by some
variation of First(), Next() etc.

As I understand it, this concept is central to the various database
objects. Is it abstracted to a base class anywhere which can be used in
other contexts without pulling in database-related libraries?

A trivial example of where this would be useful is manipulating a stream
or file representing CSV data (e.g. from a potentially-large
spreadsheet). Other examples include handling an array returned by a
mathematical package (e.g. APL) where the input size is unknown,
handling the results returned by a Prolog query applied to a large
ruleset, and so on.

I'm not saying I need such a thing, and I accept that in many cases
computers now have enough memory that a dynamic array is adequately
efficient.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk