[fpc-pascal] Fast CRC functions?

Tony Whyman tony.whyman at mccallumwhyman.com
Mon Sep 1 11:49:32 CEST 2014

Certainly true, but doesn't necessarily invalidate my comment.

The zip format is an interesting case and it would be of (academic)
interest to know if Phil Katz used a 32 bit CRC after researching
alternatives - or simply because CRCs are widely used.

On the other hand, if you get a bit error in compressed data then the
Deflate algorithm will tend to replicate and magnify the error as it
decompresses the message resulting in a very different outcome to the
original message. Hence any half decent checksum whether CRC or
otherwise should pick up the error.