[fpc-pascal] warning: link.res contains output sections; did you forget -T?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Oct 18 13:56:37 CEST 2014

On 04/03/13 13:35, Juha Manninen wrote:
> Still, is there really no way to get rid of this warning?

Yes, the linker script that FPC uses should be fixed. There is no need
whatsoever for FPC to specify output sections. We can just specify the
extra .fpc sections and others, and leave the rest of the original
linker script alone. However, such a change would require extensive
testing on many different platforms.

Well, there is one scenario where you want to specify everything in
FPC's built-in linker script: in case you have an internal linker. But
then you get the same effect as if you would specify -T option to the
linker (only that linker script is used, and the internal linker script
of the system linker is ignored). The reason we don't use -T is exactly
because we want to use the system linker's default script, because it
often contains system-specific library search paths and possibly other
directives.

So instead, when we would use an internal ELF linker, we probably should
extract the default linker script from the system linker instead and
again add our own parts to it, rather than hardcoding some version in
the compiler itself.

Jonas