[fpc-pascal] Use of TSQLite.Query method (sqlite3db unit)

Maurizio Tomasi maurizio.tomasi at outlook.com
Fri Nov 7 11:16:59 CET 2014

On Fri Nov 7 09:58, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> FYI: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/SQLite
> covers dataset-based sqlite support.

Hi Reiner,

   Thanks for the link, I hadn't found that page (I only Googled for
"free pascal TSQLite"). However, I am even more puzzled than before!

First, from that page, now I learn that there are *four* ways to connect
to a SQLite3 database:

1. Using the "sqlite3" unit, which is a low-level set of bindings to the
C library;

2. Using the TSQLite class, for which I have not been able to find
documentation yet (and whose Query method forces me to parse its
comma-separated results);

3. Using the TSQLite3Dataset, which however seems to be restricted to
Lazarus (at least, this is what I deduce from the tutorial:
http://sqlite4fpc.yolasite.com/dataset-tutorial-1.php).

4. Using TSQLite3Connection, which is part of the SQLDB framework. This
too seems to require Lazarus.

The point is that Lazarus is a no-option for me: all the programs I have
developed in the last months are designed to be run on superclusters
(using my own hand-made bindings to MPI). My workflow is: connect to the
cluster front-end using SSH+GNU Screen, edit using Vi, compile, submit
the job. I find hard to use Lazarus in such a context.

I am thinking of stopping using TSQLite and switching to the low-level
"sqlite3" unit: at least, there is plenty of documentation around for
the SQLite3 C API.

Thanks a lot,
   Maurizio.