[fpc-pascal] how to disable case sensitivity for file names on *nix?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sat May 10 23:38:19 CEST 2014

On 5/10/2014 5:14 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
> On 10.05.2014 20:09, waldo kitty wrote:
>>
>> i'm using git to pull a project from sourceforge to a windows box and to
>> a linux box... on windows, the project compiles fine... on linux,
>> though, all of the files' names are lowercase but the sources have upper
>> and CaMeL cased file names in the uses and include statements... i have
>> no control over the project or the git repository it originates from...
>
> FPC will look for each unit and include file (including directory names) in
> lowercase, UPPERCASE and AsWritten (AFAIK even in that order)

maybe this is not the problem i'm facing, then... i'll have to dig deeper into
the build script... it is a very simple build script but there may be a bug in
it with an environment variable it sets for the library files...

>> i surely don't want to have to edit the sources to lowercase all the
>> uses and includes statements every time i update my local
>> repositories... how can i get it to compile on linux no matter what case
>> the names are? is there anything i can do on my side of the fence to
>> tell fpc to operate case insensitive? hopefully a simple command line
>> option i can easily add to my build script?
>
> You can't tell FPC to operate in a totally case insensitive way, because then
> the compiler would need to check for ANY possible spelling of the filename (plus
> extension), because if an underlying filesystem is case sensitive then a.pas
> would be different from A.PAS which would also be different from a.PAS as well
> as A.pas and so on...

yes, i remember the discussion some time (several years?) back... i spent some
time rereading over it before making my post, too...

thank you to you and michael van canneyt for your responses...