[fpc-pascal] Identifier not found "MEMW"

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Thu May 8 21:35:38 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Thu, 8 May 2014, nitinjain wrote:

> I am migrating Turbo Pascal application into Free Pascal 32 bit operating
> system. whenever i compiled unit file in free pascal, compiler showing error
> message "Identifier not found "MEMW"". can anybody help me on this?.

About TP to FPC porting, see this page:
http://www.freepascal.org/port.var

To quote from there:
"You can access the realmode memory using MEM[seg:ofs], as well as MemW
and MemL (only available under Dos/Go32v2)"

Due to memory organization of modern operating systems, the Mem, MemW and
MemL are only supported under DOS and *cannot* be supported elsewhere.
This is legacy, non-portable code, which you have to rewrite to work with
a modern operating system, or any other CPU than i386.

Charlie