[fpc-pascal] overloading function StrPLCopy

LacaK lacak at zoznam.sk
Wed May 7 12:41:37 CEST 2014

When I change definition of 3rd parameter in unicode version of
StrPLCopy from SizeInt to SizeUInt, then in my example program is
correctly called "ansi version"
So it seems, that this 3rd parameter confused compiler and somehow
forced him to prefer wrong version...?
-Laco.

> Hi again,
> I reply also to fpc-devel list (excuse me, if it is off-topic),
> because I would like understand wat is going on.
> I attach also simple test program.
> I use FPC 2.6.4 but I think, that same happens also with fresh 2.7.1
> Thanks
> -Laco.
>
>> On 02.05.2014 07:45, LacaK wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am trying understand how FPC determines which version of overloaded
>>> function to call.
>>> Take as example these 2 functions (from SysUtils):
>>> 1. function StrPLCopy(Dest: PChar; Source: string; MaxLen: SizeUInt):
>>> PChar; overload;
>>> 2. function StrPLCopy(Dest: PWideChar; const Source: UnicodeString;
>>> MaxLen: SizeInt): PWideChar; overload;
>>>
>>> And in program I use:
>>> var p: pointer;
>>>       s: string;
>>> begin
>>>    StrPLCopy(p, s, 10);
>>> end;
>>>
>>> It seems, that 2nd "unicode" version of StrPLCopy is called. But why?
>>> I am thinking as:
>>> 1st parameter is untyped pointer, so no one of function can be prefered
>>> 2nd parameter is "string" which exactly match 1st function signature