[fpc-pascal] FPC for ARMv4

Jon gianniblitz at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 11:30:19 CET 2014

> On Friday, 7 March 2014, 11:04, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:
> >
> On 05 Mar 2014, at 19:41, Jon wrote:
>
>>  I have a board running Linux - it reports itself as armv4tl:
>>
>>  root at phidgetsbc:~# uname -a
>>  Linux phidgetsbc 3.1.6 #3 PREEMPT Fri Jan 6 13:05:50 MST 2012
>>  armv4tl GNU/Linux
>>
>>  root at phidgetsbc:~# cat /etc/issue
>>  Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 \n \l
>>

>>  After trying and failing to install a cross-compiler on my Linux x64
>>  system, I want to install FPC directly onto the system.
>>
>>  Can you advise the best procedure. After downloading and installing
>>  fpc-2.6.2.arm-linux.tar I get errors:
>
> That compiler is probably built for ARMv6, so it's normal that it
> doesn't work on your system. Additionally, you first have to determine
> the ABI in use on your system. To do so, run "objdump -p /bin/ls" and
>
> have a look at the "private flags" section near the end.
>
> If it contains "EABI", then you have to build an EABI cross-compiler
> (compile the ARM compiler with -dFPC_ARMEL in the make OPT parameter),
> otherwise you have to build an old ABI cross-compiler (compile the ARM
> compiler with no specific parameters in the make OPT parameter, but
> add -Cfsoft to CROSSOPT to ensure the created native compiler uses
> software floating point).
>

> Jonas

If I understand you correctly, I don't use the prebuilt package but instead use the source package (fpc-2.6.2.source.tar.gz) and build it on the unit itself? Do I need binutils or anything else?

Cross-compiling has always been very difficult for me, I follow the instructions at http://wiki.freepascal.org/Setup_Cross_Compile_For_ARM but is that the best place?

Thanks