[fpc-pascal] OT: Listing fpc options Was: Using a custom fpc.cfg

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 10:44:12 CEST 2014

Tomas Hajny wrote:

>> grep -e "^F\*" < fpcsrc/compiler/msg/errore.msg  | cut -c3- |
>> sed -e "s/^1/-/" -e "s/^2/ -/" -e "s/_/   /"
>>
>> Apologies for being off-topic.  I am interested in what it
>> is safely compatible to do across various environments in
>> clever compile scripts.
>
> <OT>Combining it would be indeed more efficient; I'm no expert on sed and
> simply didn't bother to try being efficient . I don't think that there
> should be any drawbacks, but I don't want to pretend to have any special
> knowledge of possible differences in various sed implementations.</OT>
>
> BTW, I just added the previously missing information about option '@' to
> the help pages in trunk (together with some improvements necessary to show
> this option properly).

Sed, awk, tr and a number of other unix utilities are, perhaps
fortunately, used comparatively seldom these days. Since the command
lines are notoriously cryptic, I think there's a strong argument for
keeping individual stages of a filtering operation as simple as
possible; this also allows stages to be lopped easily for debugging.

http://xkcd.com/1168/

And that particularly applies in a context where a significant
proportion of readers don't use unix, and have no inclination to try.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk