[fpc-pascal] overload question (variant vs enum subrange)

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sun Jan 26 20:48:42 CET 2014

TFoo1  is a sub range of  FFoo

And it seems to match both TFoo and variant.
> project1.lpr(24,3) Error: Can't determine which overloaded function to
> call
> project1.lpr(15,11) Hint: Found declaration: Bar(TFoo);
> project1.lpr(11,11) Hint: Found declaration: Bar(Variant);

No other type seems to be bothered by variant.
Also variant is the only type, that I found that conflicts with TFoo1

Why?

I know I can declare
   procedure Bar(a: TFoo1); overload;
and it will solve it (even if I leave all the others, because it is an
exact match).

But why does a subrange of integer/byte work? Subrange of integer does
not give the error, even so it could match both.

program Project1;
{$mode objfpc}
{// $mode delpti}
type