[fpc-pascal] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: Strange message about mixed signed expression

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Thu Jan 23 17:33:46 CET 2014

Am 2014-01-22 19:27, schrieb Florian Klämpfl:
 > - The unsigned types are something very unpascalish.

Maybe. I started with UCSD-Pascal but I do not remember whether it already had unsigned integer types.
I just searched for its Length result type on the net and found that it was integer too.

 > - Expressions like length(s)-1 are very common and would cause a lot of
 > trouble if length(s) would be unsigned.

That's true.
But this only causes problems on zero-based arrays (strings are one-based and don't have this problem).

 > It is even easier to use a 64 bit OS in this case. Even more having a
 > data segment >2 GB might be a problem for 32 Bit OSes.

True again. Thought it seems to bother others too:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12781434/why-do-delphi-and-free-pascal-usually-prefer-a-signed-integer-data-type-to-unsig
But on this link some other reasons for signed integers are given..