[fpc-pascal] updating an old DOS tool using PChar strings

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Feb 20 01:13:10 CET 2014

On 2/19/2014 5:58 PM, leledumbo wrote:
> Well, if you're not using FPC, then asking for non-FPC code here isn't the
> right way. It's useless to point yout o FPC units that BP7 doesn't have.

this is rather true and i forgot to prefix my subject line with OT... my
apologies for that...

but i'm not really asking for non-FPC code to do this, though... at least, i
don't think i am... just code that will work with BP7 until i can convert this
to FPC DOS code... i certainly don't need access to huge amounts of memory...
64k in the heap is more than enough for this tool and the way it functions...
the KIS principle at work :)

> As you've experienced, ReplaceStr (from StrUtils), StringReplace (from
> SysUtils) are FPC and Delphi routines, and BP7 doesn't have those units
> AFAIK. They don't work with PChar anyway.

true but i'm hoping that someone still has their old libraries available and
code to do this that they are willing to share... not to mention that BP7 is
only one step away from delphi 1, unless i misunderstand things...

in any case, how is a PChar string that much different than FPC's current use of
pointer based null terminated strings on the heap?