[fpc-pascal] Dynamic arrays, yet another pitfall

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Mon Feb 17 19:19:41 CET 2014

Am 2014-02-17 18:49, schrieb Martin Frb:
> Then why does this discussion continue, now that it is documented?
> Does it matter what other people consider a write and what not? (Unless that part made it into the docs, but there was no mention it did)?

Of course it would not matter if it wasn't part of the documentation.
But here http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refsu18.html it still says:
"there is no copy-on-write".
This sentence is wrong IMO.

And many people here were trying to convince me that this is information enough
because everybody of course knows that SetLength is not a write and therefore a copy is made.

And I have not seen what change was made to the documentation.
At the above link and also at http://wiki.freepascal.org/Dynamic_array still shows me the old entry I still find no words about setlength making a copy.