[fpc-pascal] findfirst wildcards...

Ralf Quint freedos.la at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 23:48:00 CET 2014

On 12/3/2014 2:09 PM, Bart wrote:
> I don't dispute teh way cmd/command treats ? in dir, I merely stated
> that the OS function FindFirstFile des not do it like that. (And so we
> should not change FindFirst/FidNext behaviour.)
Well, I have no way/time to do a more extensive test right now, but I am
certain that this is the way the OS function is working ever since DOS
1.x, which was the first version of DOS I used back in late '81/early
'82. And I can't recall ever to have a different behavior between the
internal system call and the command line. (Well, internal system calls
handling paths since DOS 2.0 allow for use of both "/" and "\" as
directory delimiter, while the DOS/Windows shell commonly does not).
The only time that I had to deal with a decisively different behavior is
on any *ix derived OS, which since the beginning of time (as far as
computers go) has handled wildcards and "FindFirst" kind of calls
differently and this is the main differences in code that are necessary
for a lot of cross-platform applications that I have been writing for
the last +30 years...

Ralf

---