[fpc-pascal] SqlDB and MS SQL Server support

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Aug 14 11:20:12 CEST 2014

Last night I googled some more. Conclusions:

1. the oledb.tlb isn't easy to find, but it does exist
https://code.google.com/p/py-com-tools/source/browse/trunk/sdk-tlbs/?r=2

Maybe it is in the full platform SDK, but I didn't have that
readily available.

The result doesn't compile, it's only a single issue though, it stuffs an
interface in a variant record.  (bug in importer, should probably be a pointer
in that case)

2. sql server will phase oledb out. SQLserver 2012 is the last to support it
(but MS will support it for existing versions for 7 years).
 oledb itself is not deprecated, only for sql server. (in practice that
means it is still useful for access)

3. oledb is currently considered the high speed interface to sql server. ADO
is categorized as moderate speed.  ODBC is positioned as oledb's successor,
but that is possibly only for future versions. For recent versions of sql
server, odbc should be fast.

Problem is also that the generalized interfaces (ODBC/ADO) do not support
all management functionality yet.