[fpc-pascal] Xlib Threads

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 11:09:36 CEST 2014

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2014-04-26 20:53, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Interesting. I suppose that could lead us back to which widgetsets
>> support full multithreading.
>
> And it just surprises me what features Xlib / X11 has - yet everybody
> seems so eager to replace it with something else (often with something
> less feature rich, yet tick the "cool" box). Sure X11 could do with some
> modernization, but I still think it is damn impressive - considering how

The principal problems seem to be related to the number of apps which
demand a high-bandwidth link to the video, with even web browsers (as
distinct from embedded video content) now expecting OpenGL.

> long ago it was created. Software engineers from that time-frame were
> pretty impressive.

Not software engineers in the general case, but MIT engineers and the
Boston/Cambridge culture (with a nod to Bell Labs in New Jersey).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk