[fpc-pascal] how to speed up lazarus compilation and debugging

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Sep 30 17:55:44 CEST 2013

On 30/09/2013 16:38, Dennis Poon wrote:

>> On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Dennis Poon wrote:
>>
>>> I came from the old delphi 5 IDE and I found the lazarus 1.0.8 /FPC
>>> 2.6.2 's compilation and debugging a lot slower than Delphi 5.
>>> Are there any settings that I can make to speed up Lazarus?
>>
>> Switch to Linux.
>>

> It is faster on Linux but still way slower than Delphi 5 on windows.

Well I haven't got D5, so I cant compare, bot in general, yes it may not
be that speedy.

Actually compiling should not be to big a problem. The first time may
take quite some time, but then only changed file are compiled (unless
you choose build, or clean...). So changing a few lines and then compile
is usually quick.

As for the debugger.  We currently use gdb, and that is not and will not
be as fast as Delphi (and it has other issues too) (though, in terms of
startup: even here, the first start (counted after you open a project)
is the slowest.