[fpc-pascal] Re: GUI confusion

leledumbo leledumbo_cool at yahoo.co.id
Mon Sep 30 01:01:38 CEST 2013

> I tried Lazarus but it did
not seem to be creating GTK code or QT, it was just some sort of weirdo
Lazarus only stuff and then in tandem with the QT binding statement I
mentioned earlier

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Overview_of_Free_Pascal_and_Lazarus#Lazarus_Architecture

> it wasn't even obvious whether or not it could
generate GUI code outside of the IDE

http://wiki.freepascal.org/LCL_Tips#Creating_a_GUI_by_code

By logic, there won't be anything that can be done by IDE but not by code,
code is far more superior in terms of capability. After all, code is what
works behind all those abstractions (forms, data module, etc.). The IDE does
almost exactly the same thing as if you code everything by hand (but it does
by reading and interpreting the form's definition).

> It would be painful to learn an IDE to
only find out later that it is for teaching purposes.

Welcome to the world of Modern Pascal. Nah, Pascal itself has NEVER been
designed for such a purpose only. Free Pascal and Lazarus despite volunteer
only projects are designed for real world application. Both are written in
itself (Free Pascal is bootstrapping compiler, Lazarus is built from LCL,
the same framework you use for building GUI applications with Lazarus) which
shows their power.