[fpc-pascal] same routine with different parameters?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Oct 29 20:32:28 CET 2013

On 10/29/2013 1:56 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
> Am 29.10.2013 18:21 schrieb "waldo kitty" <wkitty42 at windstream.net>:
>  > example:  procedure MyObject.MyRoutine;
>  >           procedure MyObject.MyRoutine(VarA : SomeType);
>  >           procedure MyObject.MyRoutine(VarA : string; VarB: integer);
>  >
>  > at one point, the first instance would be used... at another point one of the
>  > other instances would be used with the only difference being the parameters that
>  > are passed or not... i know that i would have individual instances with the
>  > necessary header and code for each... i just don't know if there is anything
>  > else special that needs to be done or if it can be done with an internal class
>  > object routine..
>
> The most important point to keep in mind us that the parameters need to be
> different (the result type does not count though!).

in this specific case, it will be one without any parameters (the original in
the 3rd party library) and one with parameters (my needed modifications)...

> And you should be careful if
> you decide to additionally use default parameters for overloaded functions.

hummm... i don't think i need to do that in this case... just having the
original unmodified routine for use like always and then my new one with
parameters...

> Note: In mode Delphi and a few other cases (e.g. cross unit overloads,
> inheritance) you'll need to add the "overload" directive.

ahhh... i believe that the library i'm using does use mode delphi all over the
place... do i add "overload;" to each of the 'duplicate' routines?

> For additional information please look at the language reference guide (can't
> look up the link currently).

i don't even know what to search for... although 'overload' may give me a start...