[fpc-pascal] Re: [Bulk] Re: Namespaces Support

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Tue Oct 29 13:02:33 CET 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Dmitry Boyarintsev
<skalogryz.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys <graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> I would have thought that is exactly what namespaces will be handy for! Or
>> at least a popular use-case. Macros Douglas could define a "douglas"
>> namespace, and the MSEide+MSEgui project could define a "msegui" namespace.
>> Units, Classes or even lines of code should be able to say which namespace
>> they are referring too.
>

> Then the John Douglas and Douglas McKey are running into the same issue.
> Both guys (while living on different parts of the world) created the same
> "douglas" namespace!
>
> Similar to using the same "M" prefix for classes unit.
>
> What option do these three guys would have now? Elevate another the level of
> name space?
> john.douglas
> macros.douglas
> mckey.douglas
> douglas.mckey?
>
> Is it much different than just extending the prefix "M" to "MFP"?
>
> thanks,
> Dmitry

You didn't understand.
The namespace we talk about is like a "dinamic namespace". The
programmer can choose which "names" he will use in your projects when
these projects are using third-party frameworks.
In Java, eg, you can change the path of frameworks, changing the
"namespace", without change the original sources.

> P.S. Offtopic: I personally find it horrible to call a unit "classes" (it's
> fine for RTL, since it's started this way, but any other library - it is
> horrible). Nobody calls their units like "functions" or
> "functionsandprodures" (though I think I saw unit "funcs" one day), It is
> better to give more accurate name of the unit functionality: StrLists,
> UnicodeUtils, FileUtls, DateUtils.

The RTL, LCL, whatever... all these libs have horrible names.

Regards,
Marcos Douglas