[fpc-pascal] Namespaces Support

Fabrício Srdic fabricio.srdic at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 02:17:42 CET 2013

2013/10/26 waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net>

> On 10/26/2013 7:06 PM, Fabrício Srdic wrote:
>
>> If the namespace feature isn't a improvement, so why was it added to fpc?
>
>  because FPC (and lazarus) strives to be better? and to not alienate
> those who use it by forcing them to adjust all their working code when a
> new version comes out?

I'm a Delphi user for years.

So, let me see:

D2009 "forced" us to adjust our existing code base to its new UnicodeString
support, but in return it give us internationalization support and new
possibilities.
D2010 have introduced the namespace feature and DXE2 "forced" us to adjust
our existing code base to its new unit scope names - namespace of its base
units - but in return it give us new possibilities to organize our existing
code base through namespaces, a feature that is present in all other
entreprise-class dev platforms - e.g Java and .NET - promoting code reuse
and providing us a more clear RTL and API.
Other examples include the addition of Generics and the changes to many
classes like TList and so on.
Today, after "forced" us to adjusting our code base many times, Delphi
provide us generics, closures, namespaces and internationalization support.

Its a great evolution, do not you think?

On the other hand, fpc community seems to be resistent to implement some
improvements - sorry, "changes" - that Delphi already has because it
"forces" the users to adjust some peaces of their existing code base.

So, what do you mean when say "be better than Delphi"? Be more backward
compatible and in other hand have fewer features than Delphi?

I really don't understand this kind of reaction.